- Provide the most accurate climate information to the citizens of North Carolina.
- Assist North Carolina state agencies in climate-environment interaction issues and related applications.
- Establish, operate, and maintain an extensive meteorological network across North Carolina and archive and disseminate this data to the public in a timely fashion.
- Assist other extension scientists by integrating climate information into applications such as agricultural and environmental models.
- Increase public awareness of variations in North Carolina climate and environment.
- Study North Carolina's climate and its interaction with the environment.
- Investigate the effects of climatic variations on agriculture, air pollution, and natural resources and develop forecasts that assist in resource management.
- Interact with K-12, community colleges teachers and students, and with other community organizations on different aspects of NC climate and environment.