For North Carolina,
- During what months do severe thunderstorms and hail events most often occur?
- During what time of day do severe thunderstorms and hail events most often occur?
- Have there been more severe thunderstorm or hail events?
- Does hail or severe thunderstorms cause more damage?
- Does hail or severe thunderstorms cause more deaths and injuries?
- We did a KWL chart to see what we Know (K), Want to know (W) and what we Learned (L).
- Searched county information on thunderstorms and hail events in the National Storm Events database.
- Searched fields of location, date, time, type, magnitude, deaths, injuries, property damage, and crop damage.
- Copy and pasted each county's information into one spreadsheet.
- Went into Microsoft Access and made a query for each field's information for thunderstorms and hail.
- Went into ArcMap GIS and downloaded a map of the 100 counties in NC.
- Then we imported all of our query results for Event Numbers, Deaths, Injuries, Crop Damage, and Property Damage
- We made each map using different colors and legends for severe thunderstorms and hail.
- Made another query in Access for hours and months.
- Exported query's to Excel and made graphs using our query results.
- Looked at information and made conclusion about it and then completed KWL for what we learned.
Click below for our spreadsheets from the SCO database of all 100 counties hail and thunderstorm record.
Hypothesis, Problem, and Purpose
Research Questions and Procedure
Number of Events
Time of Day
Recommendations and References
Thank You Ryan Boyles