Raising Achievement through Inquiry & Networking
The RAIN Across the River program is designed by the NCSCO as a STEM outreach opportunity for students in two rural, northeastern NC counties: Bertie and Chowan. RAIN Across the River students participate in a week-long Summer Academy as well as a year-round school program that includes inquiry-based curriculum aligned to 7th grade science meteorological content standards. Field trips, engagement with STEM professionals, and opportunities to share research projects at science competitions and a local community symposium are included as program components. RAIN Across the River is a grant funded program through the Burroughs Wellcome Fund Student STEM Enrichment Program (SSEP).
Each year, the RAIN Across the River program supports up to 30 rising 7th grade students from public schools, private schools, or other non-traditional learning programs. Two northeastern NC Counties are targeted for this program, Bertie and Chowan, which are geographically located across the Chowan River from each other. The Summer Academy 2017 curriculum focused on several essential questions that guided the daily activities, such as “What causes precipitation?” and “How do we measure rainfall?”. RAIN Across the River students visited the NC State Climate Office, the National Weather Service, and the NC Museum of Natural Sciences -- a field trip which included observing a special weather balloon launch. The students installed a CoCoRaHS (Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network) rain gauge in their backyards and on school grounds to create whole school enthusiasm for the RAIN Across the River program.
Interested in being a RAIN Student?
- Are you a student in Bertie or Chowan County?
- Do you like to explore STEM by doing special projects?
- Do you enjoy learning with hands-on activities?
- Do you want to help your community with better understanding of local weather?
- Are you a rising 7th grade student (will be in 7th grade for 2018-19 school year)?
Please read the Student Expectations Handout if you are interested in being a RAIN student.
Year 1 RAIN Student Posters
- Acid Rain vs. Paint (Chowan)
- Effects of Cloud Cover on UV Radiation (Chowan)
- Growth of Fast Plants (Bertie)
- The Rate of Infiltration Compared to Soil Moisture in Three Soil Types from Bertie County (Bertie)
- The Infiltration of Different Types of Water through Bertie County Soils (Bertie)
- Keeping them Alive! (Bertie)
- How Different pH Affects Plant Growth (Chowan)
- pH Levels of Different Types and Brands of Water (Bertie)
- The Effects of Sound on the Water Cycle (Chowan)
- Transpiration Rates in Different Wind Speeds (Bertie)
- Does Water Change when the Water Cycle occurs? (Bertie)